History of Weatherly Borough

 

 

         Throughout the 150 years, Weatherly has retained the small town atmosphere, a small rural community of people that love their legacy, cherish the wholesome lifestyle and bask in the beauty of their natural surroundings.

         Weatherly was incorporated on the eighth day of October, 1863 being cut from the Township of Lausanne. But the beginning of Weatherly, then known as Black Creek, was settled in 1825 by Benjamin Romig on 400 acres of prime timber land he owned on the west side of Black Creek (Hazle Creek). It was called Black Creek because of the dark water that came from the hemlock swamps that flowed down through the town. The area was settled to take advantage of the standing timber. It was not long after that; the Beaver Meadow Railroad came through the town, which served as a stopping place for engineers and crews.

 

         Railroad shops were erected in the town and the Hazleton Railroad was connected to Black Creek. A director of the Beaver Meadows Railroad, named David Weatherly, a professional clock maker, offered the settlement a town clock if the town officials would change the town's name from Black Creek to Weatherly after him. The local officials agreed and the name was changed to Weatherly, but David Weatherly disappeared shortly afterwards and the town never received their town clock.

 

         From 1850-1890 the town grew rapidly due to the Lehigh Valley Railroad Co. taking over the Beaver Meadows Railroad and the Hazleton  Railroad. The population went from 500 to 2,970 over this period. The demand for electricity grew, so the town purchased two lots from the Lehigh Valley Railroad and the town began to generate its own electric through coal fired boilers in 1889. The Read and Lovatt Silk Manufacturing Co. came to Weatherly and later became the world's largest throwing mill with 40,000 spinning machines employing 1,500 women. In 1905, the mill had the honor of making silk threads for the manufacture of material for the inauguration gown of Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt. In 1906, the mill made the blue threads for the weaving of material that went into a gown for Alice Roosevelt's trousseau when she became the bride of Congressman Nicholas Longworth of Ohio on February 17,1906 at the White House. A song, Alice Blue Gown, was written in honor of that blue gown which had its beginning in Weatherly.

 

         Besides the Railroad and Silk Mill, Weatherly has been home to The Allen Candy Factory, Weatherly Foundry and Machine Co., Weatherly Iron and Steel Co., Weatherly Brick Works, Weatherly Bicycle Works and the Weatherly Bobbin Factory. Asa Packer and Charles Schwab, both involved in the Bethlehem Steel Co., played a major part in the development of Weatherly. Asa Packer had purchased vast acres of land in the early beginnings of the town and developed the plans of the town. Charles Schwab, married a Weatherly girl, Eurana Dinkey, gave the town a new ten room, three story brick school building, costing $75,000.00 in 1901-03. The bricks for the school were made here in town by the Weatherly Brickworks. The Schwab's came to Weatherly during its 50th  anniversary as a borough in August, 1913. Mrs. Schwab surprised the crowds during the celebration with a gift to the community of Blakeslee's Grove. It was named Eurana Park and became the area's most popular places with a large swimming lake, refreshment stand, large pavilion, shelter sheds, band shell and large playground.

 

 

 

Borough News


**NEW** Doyle Heffley Opens A Satellite Office In Weatherly.
Click here for more infomation


2016 Water Quality Report is now available:
Click here to download The 2016 Annual Drinking Water Report (PDF).

Borough Hall

10 Wilbur Street,
Weatherly PA 18255
United States
Telephone: +1 570-427-8640
Fax: +1 570-427-8679
E-mail: weatherly1@verizon.net