Welcome to the Weatherly, PA Historical Information Web Page. It is our intention to provide an ongoing history of Weatherly PA and the surrounding communities that form such a rich tapestry of the American way of life. Some information is historically accurate and some comes to us through oral traditions, third party reminisces and writings.
We will be presenting information here that goes back to the beginning history of the area and will be brought forward into the present. This site will change each month giving those interested new insight into our community.
Black Creek a Beginning (continued)
A German Lutheran congregation was formed and met in the Presbyterian Church building. Later they met in the home of Aaron Grimes at the corner of Second and Pardee Streets. First Communion was observed on October 6, 1867 by Rev. W. Hasskard. Land for a church was purchased from Asa Packer fro $300 on the corner of Third & Fell Streets. The cornerstone of the church was dedicated on September 10, 1876, and the building was completed and dedicated in 1877. The new church was named "Zion's Evangelical Lutheran Church". The building was remodeled and enlarged in 1904 at a cost of $7500. A new $60,000 Christian Education building was erected and dedicated on September 12, 1965 under the pastorate of Rev. Byron R. Stauffer.
Associates of Oak Hall erected a one-story building on the corner of First and Carbon Streets. Oak Hall was incorporated on October 1, 1867. A second story was added in 1872 and a third in 1877. J.C. Sendel opened a hardware business in 1890. His son, Robert O. Sendel, took over the business from 1902-1923 and Ario A. Sendel, Robert's brother took over from 1923-1931. Harry Wertman purchased the hardware store on January11, 1931 and named it "Wertman's Hardware Store". Harry's son William took over the business in 1959. William Wertman closed the store for good on December 31, 1981. A public auction was held on the contents of the building on January 28-29, 1982. The building was purchased by the Weatherly Borough for $5000, and was razed in March 1984.
In 1867, the Lehigh Valley Railroad began construction of a large stone building adjoining the railroad roundhouse. It was completed in 1869 and measured in size 150' x 250'. Under its single roof could be found four departments, machine shop, foundry, boiler and blacksmith shops. The new building was built for construction and repair of railroad locomotives. A total of 78 engines were built and many hundreds of engines were overhauled and repaired in these shops.
Under Weatherly's master mechanic, Philip Hoffecker, a new design in engine building was developed in 1872. A fleet of 4-8-0 type engines (nicknamed dirt burners) were built and the new design engine was readily adopted by most of the other railroads across the country. Hoffecker designed and built 70 locomotives before he retired due to poor health in 1890. Only eight other engines were built after he retired. Shortly afterwards, the Lehigh Valley began a program of consolidation of its railroad shops and closed the Weatherly engine shops in June, 1984. The building containing 32,000 square feet of floor space was put up for sale. On February 10, 1913 the Weatherly Iron & Steel Co. purchased the building for $10000. The shops once employed 425 men.